Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Man of La Mancha



One of my favorite novels is Don Quixote. It is a book about a man who can see what no one else can because of the books he has read. Sometimes he is referred to as crazy. Chasing windmills, mistaking a shaving dish for a knights helmet, and treating a servant girl with loose morals as a virtuous princess are his crimes. A priest, his family, and most others we read about in Cervantes’s classic have chosen to remain in what we conveniently term reality, and thus feel obligated to try and cure the hero of the novel with a sort of reality check. The hero of the work dies shortly after those around him end his crusades.
At a first glance the work is very comical. The hours spent reading the novel in the HBLL were spent trying to control the laughter provoked from the book’s hysterical episodes. After a closer look at the work I l realized that each of us has become a Quixote of our own style, seeing only what our experiences have told is reality. Quite regularly the opinions and views from any one person’s reality don’t play well with those of a different person. Whether it is about how to hold an accountability forum, a decision to split up committees half-way through the year, or choosing the games to play at the opening social, we are not always going to see eye to eye with those around us. The realities we see, like Quixote’s, will sometimes clash with what is popular. With this in mind, each of us has two responsibilities: to form the best understanding of reality we can by pulling the most from each of our experiences, and then making allowances for the discrepancies in the numerous realities of those around us.

In Quixote’s reality he saw the Princess Dulcinea. Others saw a lowly servant. Are we becoming or killing the Quixotes of our time?

4 comments:

  1. Reading your post made me really want to read Don Quixote. I didn't realize just how much symbolism was in it!

    I haven't read the book, but it sounds to me like Don Quixote's supposed foolhardiness was a form of faith, especially considering that he could see a princess in a lowly servant. Sounds like a common woman being a daughter of God, does it not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim,
    I love Don Quixote as well. Great reflection! I had never made that connection before of comparing him to ourselves as leaders. You know, I'm sure at one point or another we all feel a little anxious about presenting our "silly" ideas to those around us. But, it's like Billy said, we have to have faith, and have faith in ourselves to make good decisions and follow our vision. I find it more and more interesting how much a simple idea can turn into a grand affair with lasting effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the play "Man of La Mancha" a few years ago which is based on the story of Don Quixote and it really changed my life. Quixote really makes one think about human passion, creativity, imagination, and seeing the good in everything. I think you bring up and important question: are we being or killing the Quixote's out there?

    And I love that artistic representation of Don Quixote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, as usual I enjoyed your post. I have not read Don Quixote, but it is one of the books on my to-read list. I think you bring up an interesting point about perception. We talked about this in my Shakespeare class. Othello seems to create his self image on what people say about him. I think we all do this, and I think there is some good in it. Without caring what people think is one of the only reasons that I wear nice clothes, act with manners etc. Great point thought, are the perceptions of others good or bad?

    ReplyDelete