Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Simplicity

I don't want to dress this one up. I'm going to keep it specific to Humanities or this could get long...

I am thankful that I stuck with the second half of Comparative Literature after a--humbling--freshman year experience with it.

I am thank for Dr. Peer opening my eyes to the connections between the arts and history. I'm thankful that I didn't try to look up every new vocab word he used.

I am thankful for Dr. Hague's usage of philosophy in translation classes. Especially when it pointed out the many logical fallacies of Rush Limbaugh, atheists, and people in general.

I am thankful for the labyrinths of Jorge Luis Borges, the odes of Pablo Neruda, and deaths of Horacio Quiroga.

I am thankful to Maridee, the Clubs committee members (past and present), and the rest of the HCSC for putting up with me.

I am thankful for the opportunity to think deeply about leadership.

I am thankful for failures and successes, each with their own lessons.

I am thankful for 한국어.

I am thankful that I can put silly images on this blog.


I am thankful.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I liked this entry, especially the silly picture. I'm glad you made a gratitude list. I think one of those should be composed every day. It would make life much more bearable. You made me think about all of the things I should be grateful for, but instead overlook or ignore. The truth is that there is much good in life and many reasons to celebrate. Thanks for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lists of good things!!! I enjoyed the note of perseverance in this post. Sometimes the things we're least grateful for to begin with are the most helpful in the end. Elder Wirthlin put it this way: "Sometimes the very moments that seem to overcome us with suffering are those that will ultimately suffer us to overcome." Perhaps a smidgin too dramatic for enduring the comp lit major until it got good, but you get my drift. =) Also, I think the photo is a great reminder of humor and how crucial it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ". . . philosophy in translation classes. Especially when it pointed out the many logical fallacies of Rush Limbaugh . . ." My respect for you went up my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the list. Yay for 한국어! Now I just need to be thankful for 한자. Definitely working on it. I am grateful for learning experiences and for the opportunity to interact with great people on a daily basis. Thanks for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete