Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Holy Ghost Wordle


Wordle is an Internet application that takes a block of text that one inserts, and compares it against what is essentially a frequency corpus. The larger the font of a word, the less frequent it is, compared to so called "normal speech." The text I chose to use comes from one of President Monson's talks from last October's General Conference. This Wordle captures the importance of the Spirit in a couple of significant ways. First, it emphasizes the fact that understanding and responding to the Spirit is not common, but requires stepping away from the norm. Also, I think it captures the importance the Holy Ghost should play in one's life. And it does so in a dramatic way. My wife created a few Wordles based on "The Family: A Proclamation to the World" that are also very useful in identifying key terms and important aspects. I would recommend playing around with Wordle. It is pretty interesting.

5 comments:

  1. So I know this doesn't exactly pertain to gratitude, but I've been meaning to use this in a WAC. I think it illustrates some interesting points though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Kendon, I wouldn't worry too much about it "relating" to the WAC this week. I emailed Maridee and she said the WAC was completely open this week, so mine doesn't really relate either. Go us!

    I admit that I am very interested in this Wordle thing you speak of. With what you have created here, the important things are really dramatically illustrated. I like the imagery a lot! And honestly, it's nice to just plain see something without having to look so hard to find the key point of whatever I am looking at. I appreciate the Holy Ghost, I appreciate simplicity, and I appreciate a good corpus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! The Wordle was very telling for me. It conveyed a type of reverence for things that are sacred. The contrast of those big white words with the black background really worked for the text you used! You mentioned that the size of the word illustrates that the spirit is unique, but also without that unique experience we find more common experiences surrounded by more darkness in the wordle you made. If we want the light of the spirit we need to do things that aren't popular or trendy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kendon, way to go! you beat me in using Wordle...I think i am just not computer-savvy enough =]. I do want to thank you for your ideas though, in how important the spirit is in our lives. I think that if we could not only live as though the spirit could be with us, but use the spirit in our lives, we would find great happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to say that this is way cool. Great lesson, but just awesome.

    ReplyDelete