Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Complaints vs. Gratitude


I think that it is much easier to complain than be grateful. At least that's true for me every time I get behind the wheel. For example, I was driving home last weekend and saw someone in my rear-view mirror tailgating me in an SUV. Cue internal dialogue: "What the heck! Moron! Oh, oh yeah... UTAH plates, didn't see that one coming, guess laws don't apply on Sunday, oh no, be my guest, rev up and fly past me, GLADLY, FINE-- OH NO you did NOT just cut me off THAT DOES IT (I floor the pedal here) HA HA, WHO'S IN FRONT NOW YEAH-- WHAT THE HECK WHO ARE YOU GET AWAY FROM ME!"

It was at this point, the SUV and I racing down the hill past the Hinckley Visitor's Center, that the rear passenger window rolled down to reveal my old mission companion, Elder Lyman.

"Hey, Elder Wilson!"
"Elder Lyman!?"
"Hey, this is my brother." The front passenger window rolled down, revealing a strapping young man glowing with the spirit. Their mother was driving. "He just got back from South Africa."
"Oh, uh... congratulations!"
"Lunch sometime?"
"Uh. Yeah. Sorry about that, I was late to work, no school... I mean Church."
"Oh, okay. See you later!"

And the SUV took a left turn and disappeared.

That experience taught me the hard lesson that choosing complaints over gratitude not only robs others of the emotional buoying up that everyone needs in this turbulent world, but it also pulls down the complainer. Learning to be grateful and to express it is like being a superhero. Not only do you save others from bad days, but you can fly. And flying is awesome.

So let's avoid painting others in a hue of black and instead find what's good about them. Check out the man below, and imagine if he was on our council. Now we could either complain about his monster mullet and stone cold stare distracting us, or we could express praise and gratitude for his example of hard work ethics and sincerity.

Let's be grateful for those we work with. Doing so not only lifts them, but it also lifts ourselves.

5 comments:

  1. Billy,

    More than anything, I'm just impressed with you and how you managed to work that last picture of the mullet into your blog.

    Its true stuff though. If we are complain, we bring ourselves and others down. If we are happy and grateful, we are just more fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the first thing that caught my eye about your post was the comic. It reminded me of...

    A few years ago I worked as front desk agent at a swanky hotel in Alaska. All day, every day I was bombarded with...complaints. Complaints about the river being to loud, complaints about the sun being up for too long, complaints about transportation, etc. etc. etc. I oftened wondered, "You're in the one of the most beautiful places in the world, you paid so much money to get here. Shouldn't you be grateful for this incredible experience?" I couldn't help think that if these guests were to focuse on thanking those who had made this trip possible for them, they would enjoy their vacation a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So not really sure I'm seeing the ethics thing or anything, but yeah, once again, you don't fail to impress. It is so true that complaints seem to come easier than compliments or gratitude. And yet, a person filled with gratitude can touch so many more lives and be happier themselves in my opinion. I think I've began to truly understand the importance of this shift of perspective as I've been married. It becomes even more critical in a close relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that story, Billy. Its so easy to be rude or in competition with strangers, but once we know them, it completely changes our perspective. I have no doubt in my mind that Christ probably treated everyone as if they were close friends and probably never would have gotten himself into a situation like that like the rest of us do. Although I guess I'm not ABSOLUTELY sure, as he wasn't faced with the physical experience of driving a car on the road with other Utah drivers...

    haha jk but I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy, I'll travel back in time with you any time. All of my experience in Fallout 3 has helped me to prepare for this moment.

    Also, I totally agree with everything. This reminds me of getting upset about intramural basketball games. You just feel bad afterward. You always feel fantastic if you're a good sport, but getting upset about a silly game instead of grateful for the experience kills everything.

    ReplyDelete