Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Sun Standeth Still...

Considering this EXTREMELY busy week of midterms, in-laws, job interviews, bishopric meetings, projects, and papers...it's ironic that Maridee chose such an appropritate topic for this week's post. I'm sure that each and every one of you can relate on a very personal level to the week I've just described, and yet, somehow you're still going!!!! It is this topic that I wish to discuss in my post today.

As discussed by Elder Oaks, "Our priorities are most visible in how we use our time...Some decisions that seem desirable for mortality have unacceptable risks for eternity. In all such choices we need to have inspired priorities and apply them in ways that will bring eternal blessings to us and to [others]."

In pondering the meaning of this quote, I was really impressed by the words 'inspired priorities' (as you can probably tell because they're highlighted in red). The concept of making sure that our priorities, or "how we use our time", is inspired by our loving Heavenly Father is undoubtedly essential to our success in leadership, service, and time management. As we seek to allign our priorities with Him who sees the bigger picture, I have found that often we are miraculously blessed to accomplish that which previously seemed impossible.

Supporting this idea with a powerful scripture from the Book of Helaman, we recognize that time is truly in the Lord's hands, and thus receive and assurance that as we allign our priorities with HIm, time can seemingly be"lengthened out" in allowing us to accomplish that which seemed unattainable. " 14 Yea, if he say unto the earth--Thou shalt go back, that it lengthen out the day for many hours -- it is done; 15 And thus, according to word the earth goeth back, and it appeareth unto man that the sun standeth still;"

Further evidencing the divine support we recieve when diligently doing those things which are first priorites in God's eyes, I have found the following scriptural promises to be unalterably true. "And at all times, and in all places, he shall open his mouth and declare my gospel as with the voice of a trump, both day and night. And I will give unto him strength such as is not known among men" (D&C 24:12); "For whoso is faithful unto the obtaining these two priesthoods of which I have spoken, and the magnifying their calling, are sanctified by the Spirit unto the renewing of their bodies" (D&C 84:33).

It is my personal experience that as we work diligently in doing those things which are priorities in the Lord's eyes (service, scripture study, prayer, etc.), time can be lengthened out, and we will be given an increased measure of strength and ability to accomplish all else that lies before us (papers, projects, etc.).

2 comments:

  1. Nothing like lds.org for a good quote eh! I used the same quote from Elder Oaks!

    Anyway, needless to say--I agree. As we focus on what the Lord would put as priorities, we will be given an added measure of success in everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the statement about doing things the Lord would rather have us do, rather giving into our selfish desires--and doing what we cant to do. I have found that when I put the will of the Lord first my time is increasingly lengthened. Its just a fact. When I do what the Lord wants me to do I have more time to do those things I want to do.

    ReplyDelete