Wednesday, February 17, 2010


So I was thinking about time and using it well and I remembered a quote from Up. Yeah, I like movie quotes. Anyway, the quote goes like this: "It's the boring stuff I remember the most." I like it, because it's true. At least, partly. It seems that the simple things, like talking for a few minutes with someone who bothered to say hi, or delivering Christmas presents, or any of a hundred things that might seem to be so small and insignificant are really the most lasting memories. I may never remember what my teacher said about Hegel's Master-Slave dialectic today or what I read about Spanish literature, but I will remember the friends I ate lunch with today, the home teacher who gave me a ride home when it was too dark to walk, and the other little things that make life worth living.

2 comments:

  1. This was inspirational; well done. I especially loved the part about time being unpredictable. I am learning more and more that we really do live life in the moment. I liked Walter Pater's view of life; he believed that we are in a constant now (he said it much more poetically). We will never have any experience except with the present. I guess that also ties into your second part-often our priorities are not in line with reality. The things that we tell ourselves are the most important are often not the most important. Helping people, doing little things are (I believe) more important than the lists of big things that we are all doing. Thanks for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiersty, I really like your post. It is so important to have those small "meaningless" moments in life because they really are what brings us the most happiness. I'm always amazed by how bored I become of big things like the winning team of the superbowl, but I remember the way I felt watching the game with people who I care about.

    ReplyDelete