Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bomb Toasted: Time and Leadership



I must follow the people. Am I not their leader?
Benjamin Disraeli


Disraeli perfectly illustrates how service and leadership are connected in this quote. Leaders are established and set in place to serve the needs of the people. When the leaders themselves forget this purpose, they have broken the contract with the people, and the people have an obligation to overthrow the sitting ruler. For leadership and service are inexorably connected. In fact, one could argue that the perfect form of leadership is also the perfect form of service. Namely, as Moroni states in Alma Chapter 60:
“Behold, I am Moroni, your chief captain. I
seek not for power, but to pull it down. I seek not for honor of the world, but for the glory of my God, and the freedom and welfare of my country. And thus I close mine epistle.”
As Moroni states in being the chief captain, he does
no t desire power, but rather to “pull it down,” serving his fellow men and God rather than chasing the accolades of the world.

On the subject of time management I was having a hard time integrating the concept with the service and the leadership aspects. While time management is crucial when being a leader, I felt like a poem was the perfect way to address the issue:

Time, A watch strapped to your arm.
chaining and ingraining to you already beaten paths
unable to see
It guides and strives to lead you exactly to the place your supposed
to be
But in the end
its times grasp
that doesn't set you free
but rather
loosing its grip on the soul it chained
needlessly.

2 comments:

  1. I like the concept of time being a potential enslaver and you having to learn to master it. In fact, I'm going to ponder on that today; I think it's a key to gaining more power over my current schedule. Thanks, Saj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not thought of time in this way either. Although I think that time can be arbitrary, I believe that we are all going to use our time somehow. Every action we take, every minute we spend, we are doing something with our time. For me, realizing that during every single breath I was somehow using my time, even if all I was doing was wasting it. That helped me become more effective. It's not about filling a certain amount of time, but doing as much as you can with the breaths we have been given.

    ReplyDelete