Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is FLASH MOB a Service?

I would like to approach this topic by discussing the FLASH MOB that Tim is preparing, and I will begin by posing a question: How does a Flash Mob relate to leadership, service, and time management?

Concerns
I've had some trepidation about the Flash Mob. I've seen everything from frozen crowds at Brigham Square to choreographed dancing at Times Square, and I'll admit that the core of these random acts of frivolousness is essentially fun. But these are some of the questions that I have been dealing with:
  • How does a flash mob promote leadership?
  • What service does a flash mob provide?
  • Is organizing a flash mob an effective use of time?
I'm directing my comments to those who have had sentiments similar to mine, and hope that you'll give them consideration.

Case Study
Please watch the following video:




Leadership
A Flash Mob provides the vital lesson that followers are just as important as leaders. Followers can either promote leadership or deconstruct it. In today's skeptical world, it is frightfully easy to view a creative idea and give it prompt ridicule before discarding it. I know that for me, the first twenty seconds of the "Dancing Man" video were almost unbearable to watch. All I could think was, Oh geez, this is what I get for browsing Google Reader again....

But in the end, the willingness of one shirtless dancing man to throw caution to the wind ended up being the most brilliant idea of the day. That is the type of risk that successful leaders take. Risk-taking is not just essential for Mister Crazy Dancer, but also for business leaders, political leaders, revolutionary writers, and us.

Service
That lone nutjob and his nutjob follower had a vision, and before long, they transformed a lackluster lawn-sitting into an all-out dancefest. Similarly, a flash mob in behalf of the College of Humanities, though unconventional, has the potential to bring a new level of unity and excitement in the college that is yet to be experienced.

Remember that a flash mob isn't about us succeeding as leaders; it's about the unity of the college itself. A recurring goal among committees was to create a sense of community. This is an opportunity for us to forget about ourselves-- perhaps even look stupid-- and get lost in that cause. I hold firmly that the greatest acts of service are the most vulnerable. So if nothing else, let's consider this flash mob an exercise of stepping out of a comfort zone for a greater cause, which is the unity of the college. For all we know, this small and simple thing may snowball into something bigger than ourselves.

Time Management
The great thing about this flash mob is its simplicity. No budget is required and the activity itself will last for about one minute. It's hard for a one-minute activity to be a waste of time! In a student council where every member excels, it is important to provide activities that will work around our busy schedules. This is an activity that does that.

My hope is that everyone on the council will attend the flash mob. It is not a matter of whether Tim, Liz, MaryDawn or I need you there. It is a question of your personal commitment to unifying the college. It would be a great privilege to have you all there.

So let' get pumped for "The Humanities Flash Mob."

4 comments:

  1. Billy, I was also skeptical about the flash mob, but your video, combined with the promise that you will be shirtless and throwing caution to the wind when the time comes, will sell me on it.

    Actually, I think I'll come regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With assumptions like that, you will make a great lawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That was surprisingly profound. I had never really thought about the difference that the first follower makes but this makes a lot of sense. I like how you combined the case study with supporting the humanities college with time management... that was actually really impressive. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy! That video made my day. I think this flashmob thing is going to be a blast. I'm ten times more excited about it now, having watched your video. Ha ha!!!

    ReplyDelete