Monday, February 8, 2010

So, first off, I should point out that the quote used for this week’s prompt doesn’t convince me that extracurricular activities are at all causal in relation to higher grades and more satisfaction with college and social life. I hope that one of the takeaways from everyone’s college experience is a healthy skepticism of statistics and research.


As far as how involvement with the HCSC has been of value to me, I would say it’s three-fold:

First, it has helped me to better distinguish between those things I do well (or am awesome at) and those I do not do well. I do my best to facilitate communication, to help everyone feel involved, and to make sure that goals are accomplished. I do not plan activities. At the same time, doing those things I don’t like/am not good at has helped me to push outside my comfort zone.

I'm still not as awesome as this kid, though.


Second, the HCSC has allowed me to meet and interact with phenomenal students. The group we have is wonderful. I have learned so much from everyone and am very thankful for that.


Third, working with HCSC, and by extension with further BYU offices and administration, has helped me to see that the way (how well/poorly) you organize, work, and communicate within a bureaucracy can be the deciding factor in whether or not things get done. When you move beyond your micro-level committee, things tend to get mucked up and gears just turn much more slowly. This has been a valuable lesson for the future.


Overall, HCSC has been a fantastic learning experience, while also introducing me to people who will long be friends and associates.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes blogger's formatting doesn't work that well. Please don't judge me for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm judging you. :) Just kidding. First, I love the statistic for teenage pregnancy. I'm sure it does drop off by age 25.

    Secondly, I totally agree with you that once you move beyond your committee, things go very slowly and it's really hard to get things done. I've come to favor topics being brought up in council, but then they should be decided on in committees. Otherwise discussion feels so laborious and ineffective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your graphics = great.

    One thing that stuck out to me was the part where you said that doing the things you don't like to do has helped you get out of your comfort zone. I love looking back on experiences and being able to see how I've been able to branch out and do things I wouldn't have done without that experience. I wonder what changes I will be able to see in myself after my HCSC experience...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,

    I laughed so hard after reading your response to Maridee's statistic that my wife came rushing into the room to see what had happened! I full heartedly agree with your comment that "...the HSCS has allowed me to meet and interact with phenomenal students." What a blessing to have the opportunity to learn and grow from interaction with many of the "noble and great ones!" :) Thanks for your WAC.

    ReplyDelete