Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell



"There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possilby broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies ad little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in the casket-safe, dark, motionless, airless-it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell.
I believe that the most lawless and inordinate loves are less contrary to God's will than a self-invited and self-protective lovelessness. ... We shall draw nearer to God, not by trying to avoid the sufferings inherent in all loves, but by accepting them and offereing them to Him; throwing away all defensive armour. If your hearts need to be broken, and if He chooses this as the way in which they should break, so be it."
-C.S. Lewis The Four Loves
I believe with all my heart that the quote by Elder Holland that Maridee posted is true. We have the guarantee of victory; there is light at the end of the tunnel. But that is speaking of an end result. It can be the end of a certain trial, or it can be the end of a lifetime. It is not a guarantee that we will not suffer along the journey. Elder Holland spoke of the safety that Christ promises as a harbor. The harbor is the place a ship rests, is repaired, and awaits its next journey, or the continuation of its current journey. The harbor is real; as real as the winds, waves, and rainstorms of the journey we are making. We are all making a journey to the Celestial Kingdom. This will require change to occur between now and the time we reach our final destination. Some of the change I have undergone (with plenty still to go) has been the result of the wear of the road to higher ground. The quote above by C.S. Lewis was one of the ways the promised help and healing came to me in one of the harbors I needed to rest in. From the quote I learned that I was meant to keep continuing down a path, even though the journey was terribly uncomfortable and inconvenient. I have posted it in case there is anyone else walking a similar path.
I am reminded very much of what Elder Neuenschwander said about how his study of the Humanities has increased his understanding of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Until the next Harbor!

2 comments:

  1. That is one of my favorite quotations of all time. I love C.S. Lewis.

    And I really like your insights about the harbor being a place to rest and recover. I hadn't fully considered the implication of the harbor being a place where we can repair our boats for the next journey. That brings a lot more meaning to its comparison with temples and general conference.

    Thanks Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes yes yes. One of the strangest discoveries of my mission was that even with the companions I was so excited to serve with, we would still get impatient, crabby, need our space. One of the strangest experiences after my mission was feeling how difficult love can be - and that this time I was facing it with the determination and strength of will to make it keep going and work. Even if it didn't match up to my 14 year old ideas. Especially because the real thing is more complicated and risky, beautiful and joyous, than anything I imagined via indie music or romanticized films. When I read this I immediately e-mailed it to my boyfriend. thank you, Tim!

    ReplyDelete