Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Joys of the Temple

When I think of the word temple, I think of a safe place. The temple is a safe place from the cares of this world-a safe harbor if you will. The picture to my left is of the Portland Temple, the first temple I ever went inside. When you walk inside the waiting area, there is a beautiful atrium with many colorful flowers, thin green trees, and unseen wonders. It has always been my favorite place inside of the temple, not only because I could think but I could also rest my thoughts. I was able to gently gaze around at the beauty surrounding me. I could close my eyes and fill that same peace as if I was alone at sea, resting in a boat in a peaceful harbor. But temples are not just safe places, or places in which you can be freed from the world, but a place to come near unto Christ. I have never felt closer to my savior, than when in that temple atrium.
Temples are a beautiful gift to us on this earth, for God gave us a house in which, if we are worthy, we can come closer to him. I encourage everyone especially me, to never take the temple for granted, but to go to attend it often.

„In the holy temple the precious plan of God is taught, it is here that eternal covenants are made. The temple lifts us. It exalts us. It stands as a beacon for all to see and points us toward celestial glory. It is the house of God. All that occurs within the walls of the temple is uplifting and ennobling. The temple is a place of tranquility, it is a place of kindness, and love, and light.”-President Thomas S. Monson


2 comments:

  1. I have been to the Portland Temple and experienced that atrium! It really is so beautiful. I love temples and I definitely feel that they are safe places where we can go to ponder and learn and grow closer to the Lord. I have such an appreciation for temples and I hope that I do not ever take advantage of having so many close by. We are incredibly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    Powerful post! Thank you so much for the spiritual reminder of the great importance of temples in our lives. My wife and I set a goal in our first FHE together as a married couple to attend the temple everyweek, and it has been wonderful! Although busy at times, the priority we have given to the temple each week has truly provided us with the strength we needed to make it through! Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete