Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Help from Christ through ordinary people

I want to focus more on the word help. Two summers ago, I moved up to the Salt Lake area for an internship with a consulting firm. I was extremely busy with work. I was working a lot and even then, I put in a lot of overtime. I really wanted to make an impact at my company. Needless to say, because of my work, my social life was non-existent. I attended a singles ward in South Jordan and because I worked so much I didn’t attend any of the FHE activities or anything the ward hosted during the week. When Sunday came along, I would show up to Sacrament and sit by myself. I would then go to Sunday school and sit by myself and then again in Elders Quorum. For nearly two months, this was my experience at this singles ward. No one made an effort to introduce themselves or even say hello. The only person who I remember talking briefly with was the Elders Quorum President and it was just so I could give a prayer. It was really difficult being there.

There was one Sunday where I felt like not going to that singles ward. Instead, I was going to just randomly attend another singles ward in the area. However, as I was getting ready, I felt impressed to try the South Jordan ward one more time. I went and, again, sat by myself in Sacrament and Sunday school. But when I sat down in Elders Quorum waiting for the meeting to start, a brother, who I did not recognize, sat next to me. He had a big smile on his face and introduced himself to me. We then spent the next 10 minutes talking and after the meeting was over, we talked for another 20 minutes or so. After I left and drove home, I felt edified and uplifted. I felt as if someone actually cared about me. I don’t know if anyone else has been in this situation before, but for me, that visit meant so much to me. It was not only a blessing, but it was a help for my life.

I don’t remember his name, but I will always remember what he did for me. He exemplified Christ. He sought out the one and carried me back into the fold. He provided a sincere smile which gave me the motivation to being better. He helped me understand what being a christian is all about.



2 comments:

  1. John, I like that you tied the help of Christ back into us. We are so often the way that Christ reaches out and helps us. This was a great reminder for me to love others and do service. I can't wait for Christ to come help me if I am not helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I liked this post a lot. We have all had experiences like that, where a truly Christian person comes up and gives us some needed help in just the right situation. We should want to use these experiences as reminders to then help others, helping them receive some hope of their own.

    ReplyDelete