Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What Does It All Mean?


reflecting on the other guys

If I were an art teacher, I would direct your attention to how this picture makes use of space, color, perspective and positioning in order to express meaning. But, as you have likely gathered up to this point, I am no art teacher. Nevertheless, despite my lack of training and interest in the subject, this picture conveys meaning (to most people). So? What does it tell you?


As I reflect on the possible interpretations of the image, I am most satisfied with believing the following: Being happy or different has benefits and costs. We are happy when our friends or loved ones are happy, but upset or discontent when strangers or even a smiling yellow ball are cheerful.

Well, perhaps it doesn't matter what it means to me. I could have claimed that I felt the image was attempting to show marketing strategies of MacDonald’s in recent years and I might have just as many people agree or disagree with me. In fact, as humanities majors, I am guessing that, assuming you are still reading this, you have already formed an opinion about these little colored spheres.

Because of our backgrounds and past incidents, we tend to view new experiences with a biased opinion and view. In addition, because each individual is made of different abilities and knowledge, each other individual stands much to gain from interaction. So, when it comes to reflecting upon the meaning of a situation (budgets, projects, events, etc.), perhaps we should be most concerned with how others are thinking and feeling.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this picture. That yellow smiley is definitely a strong salient feature in the image. I find it fascinating that you really can interpret this image in several ways. I first thought of the Mormon Ads that say "rise above the blues" or "shine the light." Additionally I think this image is a reflection on the difficulties of leadership. President Hinckley once wrote a talk on the "Loneliness of Leadership." I have often found it to be true that being a righteous leader in the world can often be a lonely experience. This is why I'm grateful for the uplifting experiences I am currently gaining during my time at BYU. I know that in future years I will be able to draw strength from the goodness that I was surrounded by here, especially the all the good int eh council members this semester. each one of us is this yellow ball amidst a world full of blue frownies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this picture could be interpreted in all sorts of directions. The direction I want to take with it is the idea that happiness is a choice that few people know how to make. And that gloominess is contageous. I once read somewhere that the only thing more contageous than enthusiasm is a lack of enthusiasm. I think that this is important to remeber as we try to find joy in our lives. Often when we are on the brink of being our happiest we will be faced with a mob of contaminated Debbi Downers trying to infect us with their gloom germ. If we hold strong perhaps more than one of us will be yellow and beaming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the picture that you used was very effective. For some reason I was drawn to it. The stark contrast of blue and yellow was eye-catching and thought provoking.

    I know this is a little off topic, but to be honest I'm more interested in the picture than what you said about it.

    Isn't it crazy how colors can affect our mood? The dark and moody blue balls depressed me long before I even noticed they were sporting frowny faces. Similarly I noticed the color of the yellow ball, long before the smiley face. This makes me wonder how I can more effectively use color in my design.

    ReplyDelete