Wednesday, January 27, 2010


Stimulating Reflection

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/4478201/j0438747-main_Full.jpg

I enjoyed the focus of this article on reflection and inquiry as the means of learning (simplistic summation). The article brought up a point that is important to us on the Humanities Student Council--How can we stimulate our own reflection in order to interpret our experiences and learn more? I thought about several things as I pondered this question. Does relaxation help stimulate reflection? Are there times of the day that I am prone to be more reflexive? What part does the spirit play in meaningful reflection (bringing things to our mind and helping us make connections that we would not have made on our own)? Does this university stimulate reflection? Is reflection required to do well here?

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs17/i/2007/124/0/7/leave_me_alone____by_madfeather.jpg

In trying to answer these questions (which I will not answer in this blog) I found it helpful to look at my own experience. I have found that I am most reflective during my scripture study, where I find myself evaluating my experiences in light of the scriptures. The next most reflective time is in learning environments where my brain is active. I carry a notebook with me always so that I can write down ideas that come to me throughout the day. Most come during interesting classes, where I begin to reflect on experiences in light of a new piece of information.

Understanding how reflection already happens in my life will increase my learning on the Humanities Council. If I can understand how I reflect, then when I have powerful learning experiences (like I do in HCSC), I can ensure that I find a way to reflect on the experience. I think I will learn more from my HCSC experience this semester with more focused reflection.

http://www.percess.com/data/image/SiteImages/Articles.gif

On SAC we are asked to write follow-ups for each speaker. I think that this is a great way to stimulate reflection. I find myself able to see new things about the presentation that I did not see at first (what was the tone of the presentation, what would have made the presentation more effective etc.).

I have never thought that these weekly responses are a chance to reflect as well, but now that I am reflecting on it, I think that they are. I guess I can start taking better advantage of this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment