Monday, January 25, 2010

Sara's Laymans Interpretation of "Devloping Habits of Reflection for Meaningful Learning"

We are going to study how people learn.

Pargraph one: "Reflection as inquiry"
Reflection makes one expierences more meaningful.

Paragraph two: "Forms of Attention"
Ambient: Kind of paying attention-- not really
Focal: I am really focusing
Salient: I am paying attnetion to what matters to me. I don't really care about you

Paragraph three: "Event to Expierence"
Events are general. I am going to a party.
Experience means that it means something to you-- that ward party changed your life. Amen.

Paragraph four: "Meaningful Learning and Meaning Making"
Question and examine what you are learning-- dont just let it hit you and hope something sticks.

Make learning signifcant.

Paragraph five: "When to Engage in Reflection"

Reflect whenever and however you want. Its important as well.
Reflection is how you make learning meaningful.

Paragraph six: "The Reason for Reflection"
See above.

Paragraph seven: "The Role of Others' Ideas"
Other peoples ideas matter.

Paragraph eight: "Repertoire of Competencies"
Your senses will tell you what your sensitive about.

Paragraph nine: "Tensions Between Individual and Insitution"
Teachers tell students what to think. Teachers can be wrong. The individual can be right.
It depends on the situation.

Conclusion:
We learn more as we grow.

Sara Jarman

4 comments:

  1. Very thorough. Kind of the cliff-notes version. Wish I had read your post Sara before reading the actual article. That would have helped me out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, Thanks for your post. I like to hear your voice. How are you applying what you are learning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to apply what I learn, from both inside and outside the classroom, in my relations with others. The things I learn help me to address how I can treat others better and also in how I can become better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, I loved your object lesson in salient learning. You couldn't have boiled it down better to just what YOU noticed. Get rid of all that ambient and (maybe) focal stuff. Get to the good stuff. This also provides a framework through which we could 'focally' learn from the reading, but reading it through your lens.

    ReplyDelete