Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reflection

After deep reflection and far too much effort spent on what should have been a simple assignment, I have concluded that it would be much easier to simply quit the student council and never think about design again. Not really. I do see the value of design. I have, however, run out of time in which to worry about how on earth I'm supposed to save the document I've prepared as an image. I've spent the time in which I should have been doing my Portuguese homework trying to do so, because I know that my grade depends upon it. However, this assignment is simply not worth the effort I am putting in. It is a headache that I don't need to put up with. The grade is the only reason I'm not ignoring it completely. I did the work, I designed my project, it looks beautiful....and it won't save so that I can upload it. Instead I am going to post what I wrote, along with this brief introduction and a couple of photographs that will help improve the design of this page. That will be the end of it.
p.s. The photos are taking too long to load. If I wait for them, I'll be late to class, which I absolutely hate. As it is I'll have to run. So I'm leaving the post as it is. I've done what I could with the font and the text.


What got my attention in this article?
To me, the most noticeable feature of this article was actually its writing style―or lack thereof. I will never understand why so many people employ the passive voice when they want to sound smart. It has rather the opposite effect. I believe that the writing is of such a quality that it interferes with what the author is trying to say.
Why did this stand out to me?
My mother was an English major and she taught me well. Also, I currently work as a teaching assistant and have been grading stacks of student papers, so I'm quite used to editing for grammar and mechanics. I'm afraid that this particular paper would lose many points for the authors' failure to proofread.

What are the article's redeeming qualities and how do I respond to them?
The ideas seem fairly sound, though I'm not particularly fond of how they've distinguished between an “event” and an “experience.” I suppose that's not really an answer for this question, though. So I would say that I do believe it is correct in emphasizing the importance of reflection as a way of learning from experience. That is, after all, why so many humanities classes require essays. They are a form of reflection, a way for us to define our experience. De Saussure would say that the experience didn't really happen until we've been able to put it into words. (At least, that's what I think he would say. His theory is rather difficult to understand.) I don't quite agree with him, but putting ideas into words certainly helps us understand them better.
I think the article makes a good point about the need to develop observational and reflective skills. After all, if we don't see something, there is no way for us to think about it later.
Also, I agree that it is important to use external sources to help make sense of our own experiences. I would say that this includes being able to compare and contrast ideas from literature, science and art in order to gain a better understanding of our experiences with each one.




1 comment:

  1. Today in my Shakespeare class we talked about writing style. The teacher gave several examples of published works through several disciplines that were poorly written. He talked about the need to make our work active. What I found the funniest was the articles written by lawyers (contracts mostly) that were very difficult to understand. Point taken, this was not as well written as it could have been. Now let me take some time and reflect...

    ReplyDelete