Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Kiel


As I was going back through old blog posts, I caught one from Kiel that I hadn't before read. It contained a quote from Dallin H. Oaks about time management. As Kiel noted, it wasn't the best designed entry (nor is this one), but the message immediately grabbed me.

"Our priorities are most visible in how we use our time…Someone has said, 'Three things never come back--the spent arrow, the spoken word, and the lost opportunity.' We cannot recycle or save the time allotted to us each day. With time, we have only one opportunity for choice, and then it is gone forever."

Wow. Quite the intimidating/motivating quote. I needed this right now. Not back when he wrote it and I didn't read it, but I needed this now.

Thanks, Kiel.

4 comments:

  1. I believe that Kiel and you have both stumbled across something that is pertinant in everyone's life. It basically takes my pride and shoves it in my face, and makes me realize that I need to focus on other things besides finals. After all finals will happen whether I want them to or not, but relationships must be built or they will crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture of Kiel! I have noticed more and more that time, not money, is my most valuable resource. I see that the quote does not just highlight time, but also the spoken word. Once it leaves our internal database, what we say kind of becomes public property, whether we prefer it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you pointed out the relevancy of Kiel's WACs. They always have a straight-to-the-point voice that gets to the meat of the topic and tells you how it is. No fluff, no ambiguity. I like that a lot.

    As for the "don't miss an opportunity" topic, I agree, that's pretty steep. I think I'm happier with "discern the most important opportunities for you right now, and catch thsoe ones."

    ReplyDelete
  4. (sigh)...I knew this would be posted up somewhere sooner or later.

    I enjoyed your post. In fact, I even dedicated my post to one patterned after yours, but with an amusing picture of yourself...but regrettably it won't convert. You'll just have to wonder which picture I selected to post until it actually gets put up!

    ReplyDelete